Park Maintenance Worker
Company: NOVA Parks
Posted on: August 1, 2019
Opportunity Announcement19-07-24Grade6Annual Starting
Salary$31,988.58The Park Maintenance Worker is responsible for
performing fundamental maintenance tasks requiring working
knowledge and basic physical skills. Work assignments and immediate
supervision are provided by the Maintenance Supervisor or Park
Manager. Annual performance goals will be set for the Park
Maintenance Worker. Park Maintenance Workers are subject to lateral
transfer within the organization.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (with
illustrative examples of work)The Maintenance Worker/Custodian is
responsible for performing fundamental maintenance tasks
including:Maintain park grounds:
- Cuts dead and/or damaged trees and saws up logs and limbs using
- Mows grass using variety of mowing equipment including
tractors, push mowers, and string trimmers.
- Picks up ground litter and collects and disposes of litter and
- Clears and maintains trails.
- Plants and maintains trees/shrubs and planted beds.Maintain
- Makes minor carpentry, plumbing, and electrical repairs.
- Repairs and/or assembles park benches and picnic tables;
installs split-rail fences and/or replaces damaged rails.
- Applies paint/stain in both exterior and interior sites.
- Cleans picnic shelters and other buildings as needed; cleans
restrooms and shower houses.Maintain park equipment:
- Sharpens chain saws and mower blades, fuels equipment, and
otherwise prepares equipment and tools for use.
- Makes minor repairs and performs routine maintenance on small
- Assists with maintenance/repair of vehicles and
tractors.Perform miscellaneous maintenance tasks:
- Cleans and organizes storage areas and maintenance shop and
disposes of debris and performs other maintenance shop housekeeping
- Performs installation and take down of seasonal light shows,
including wrapping lights in trees and installing wire frames.
- Sets up and takes down tents and assists with other jobs
associated with special projects in other parks.
- May assist with supervision of part-time employees and/or
- Runs errands to deliver and pickup materials.REQUIRED
QUALIFICATIONS (minimum)Education: Graduation from high
school.Physical: Manual work with strength and dexterity necessary
to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping,
bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions in
outdoor and maintenance shop settings; will perform heavy manual
labor in all weather conditions, lift and move items equal to or
greater than 80 pounds, climb ladders, use various hand tools, and
operate various mechanical equipment.Experience: Some experience in
park maintenance work with mechanical aptitude, or any equivalent
combination of education, training, or experience which provides:
- Working knowledge of the methods and materials used in
maintenance of park grounds, facilities, and equipment.
- Working knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems and other
utility systems with ability to make minor repairs and provide
- Working knowledge of small engine equipment with ability to
perform routine maintenance and make minor repairs.
- Working knowledge of the safe and proper use of park
maintenance equipment and tools.
- Ability to work on a ladder for an extended period of
- Ability to operate a scissor and boom lift.
- Ability to supervise part-time maintenance staff.
- Possession of or ability to obtain and maintain driver?s
license with safe driving record.
- Availability for call in emergency situations and to work
additional hours when needed, to include shift work and
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of
- Park Maintenance Workers are subject to lateral transfer.Duties
and responsibilities are designed to be the essential elements of
the job. They do not preclude the performance of related, or even
unrelated, jobs which may be necessary to properly and efficiently
complete all work assignments. NOVA Parks reserves the right to
amend job specifications to meet current needs.Benefits: This
position is a benefit eligible position. Benefits include medical
and dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability,
retirement plan, and more.Testing: The Park Maintenance Worker
position is classified as a safety sensitive position. Candidates
for full-time, safety sensitive positions must submit to a
pre-employment drug screening and achieve a negative result as a
condition of employment. It is the policy of the Northern Virginia
Regional Park Authority to prohibit discrimination on the basis of
race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status,
political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment,
selection, and hiring of its workforce.Reasonable accommodations
are available to persons with disabilities during application
and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Contact 703-352-5900 and ask for Human Resources for assistance.
Keywords: NOVA Parks, Leesburg , Park Maintenance Worker, Professions , Leesburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!