Data Center Facility Engineer
Company: Salute Mission Inc.
Posted on: September 24, 2022
Across the data center industry - from deployment, through
operations and maintenance, to decommissioning - Salute Mission
Critical is the industry leader of delivering global data center
services executed with military precision.At Salute, we don't have
employees. We have team members. It's our culture, and it's a
significant driver of the success we're able to deliver for our
clients. This team-oriented culture is defined by transparent
communication, collaborative development and deployment of
procedures and best practices, a customer service mindset both
internally and externally, and a strong commitment to safety and
responsibility.Job DescriptionThe Data Center Facilities Engineer
is responsible for the operational integrity, commissioning, and
regulatory compliance of the electrical power, mechanical,
monitoring and control systems, and the processes that maximize
customer uptime in the most cost-effective way for highly
available, concurrently maintainable, fault tolerant
mission-critical data center environments.The Facilities Engineer
is responsible for ensuring that all electrical, mechanical, and
fire/life safety equipment within the data center are operating at
peak efficiency and the utmost levels of reliability. This involves
both planned preventative maintenance of equipment, daily
corrective work, and response to emergency issues. The Facilities
Engineer is our front line when it comes to hands-on electrical and
mechanical equipment troubleshooting, and serves as an expert,
highly capable technical resource, reporting to the Site Manager
and interacting with onsite Facility Technicians and any
third-party vendors. They are expected to be a singular focal point
for all facility operations within a given data center. Data center
equipment that supports mission-critical servers must maintain
better than 99.999% uptime. This equipment includes, but is not
limited to standby diesel generators, related fuel systems,
electrical switchgear, UPSs, PDUs, AHUs, related thermal management
equipment and systems, chemical treatment systems (where
applicable), pumps, motors, VFDs, and building automation
- Place SAFETY at the top of anything and everything that they do
- without fail.
- Focus on the tasks and activities given to them and remain
consistently focused on SAFETY.
- Operate, monitor, maintain, and respond to abnormal conditions
of facility systems.
- Complete planned and ad-hoc preventive maintenance work
assignments, requiring the skill and direction of several
electrical, mechanical, maintenance trades and engineering
- Conduct periodic inspections of building systems, i.e., HVAC,
electrical distribution, maintain mechanical equipment
rooms/enclosures to ensure clean, functional and safe conditions.
- Rapid response, investigation and management of indoor
emergency situations and air quality complaints, including
- Have a complete working knowledge on creating, closing and
tracking "work requests" (WR). Initiate or respond to work orders,
follow-up and verify completion of work.
- Monitor performance/note deficiencies of service contractors
and recommend changes as necessary.
- Provide applied electrical, mechanical, integrated control and
water chemistry technical expertise for the entire data center.
- Directly interface with management team, contractors and
consultants for all phased data center construction commissioning,
including integration and testing of new systems while maintaining
critical systems online.
- Work with the Facility Technician and other stakeholders to
track and complete a preventive and predicative maintenance
schedule for critical maintenance and system commissioning.
- Ensure data center operates at maximum operational efficiency,
including:o analyzing existing operating conditions,o recommending
new technologies and improving overall efficiency and cost
- Responsible for data center white space and back-of-house
electrical loading and capacity, including client installations and
- This position may require unusual hours of work approximately
once every other week to meet critical maintenance windows and
- Directly manage contractors and consultants for daily
operations and critical maintenance (UPS systems, generators,
switchgear, and chiller maintenance).
- Provide applied electrical, mechanical, integrated control and
technical expertise for the entire data center.
- Directly manage and supervise Facility Technicians in all
aspects of day-to-day operations and maintenance of all electrical
and mechanical critical facility equipment.
- On-call to respond to emergency situations at the data center.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned
by management.The Data Center Facilities Engineer interacts across
all internal departments, including executives and will interact
with clients and vendors.Desired Skills & Experience
- Strong background in operating mechanical and electrical
critical systems, design review, layout, installation, including
the ability to read and interpret electrical and mechanical one
- Ability to conduct power- and thermal system capacity, safety
and code compliance assessments.
- Hands-on experience installing, maintaining and troubleshooting
large commercial and industrial electrical systems including:o
Medium-voltage switchgearo 480/277 Volt and 208/120-volt electrical
generation and distribution systemso Diesel powered AC generators.o
Static UPS systems (where applicable)o Dynamic Rotary UPS Systems
(where applicable)o Multi-string flooded cell batteries and
monitoring systemso Static switcheso PLC and relay logic controlso
Power monitoring systemso Data center power distribution and
management systemso Current knowledge of NFPA Electrical, Fire and
Life Safety and building codes, or local regulatory equivalent
within the location of the data center.o Knowledge of NEC, NFPA
70E, NFPA 72, NFPA 25 and compliance issueso Expert knowledge in
industrial safety best practices (i.e. lockout/tag out, arc flash
protection, OSHA and state regulations)
- An excellent understanding of the electrical and mechanical
systems involved in critical data center operations, including
systems such as feeders, transformers, generators, switchgear, UPS
systems, ATS units, PDU units, chillers, pumps, air handling units,
and CRAC units.
- Work directly with customers, internal teams, installation
engineers, technical consultants, and other implementation
personnel to coordinate customer turn-ups, process flow, to ensure
smooth transition from installation to operation.Qualifications:
- 4-year degree in an engineering discipline from an accredited
- Full use of sight, hearing and voice are required as well as
full motor skills.
- The ability to lift up to 23kgs (50lbs), bend, stoop, reach
overhead and stand for long time periods.
- A minimum of 5 years of directly related experience in the
operation, installation, and maintenance of data center critical
equipment, building systems with in-depth technical understanding
and knowledge of all HVAC, electrical, plumbing, fire/life safety,
and control systems.
- Knowledge of the electrical and mechanical systems used in a
data center environment, including: Feeders, Transformers,
Generators, Switchgear, UPS systems, ATS/STS units, PDU/PMM units,
Chillers, Air handling units and CRAC units.
- Good observation skills and problem-solving ability.
- Military experience would be an advantage.If your professional
growth and compensation trajectory are restricted in any way,
- Stepping into a role with a nationally recognized leader in the
Mission Critical market
- Working with an employer who maintains a corporate philosophy
to hire only our nation's best
- Who invests in and are unilaterally committed to continuing the
enrichment of their employeesIf you have what it takes to work in a
dynamic, fast-paced environment we welcome the opportunity to
provide more detail and explore your current situation and
interests.Military experience is preferred
Keywords: Salute Mission Inc., Leesburg , Data Center Facility Engineer, Professions , Leesburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!