Chef De Cuisine
Company: Lansdowne Resort
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Job DescriptionJob SummaryResponsible for all aspects of
managing the Kitchen and Kitchen personnel, ensuring the quality
preparation of all menu items and proper handling/ storage of all
food items in accordance with standards. Coordinates the purchase
of all food and develops menus, maintaining approved food costs and
labor costs. Essential Functions
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of
equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests' needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all
guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all Hotel services/features and local
attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization
of assigned work areas.
- Review the daily activities; check the following:
- House count
- Forecasted covers for each outlet
- Catering activity
- VIPs/special guests
- Establish the day's priorities and assign production and prep
task to staff to execute.
- Review daily specials and offer feedback to Sous Chefs.
- Review Banquet Event Order sheets and make note of any changes;
post function sheets for the next 7 days.
- Meet with Sous Chef to review schedules, assignments,
anticipated business levels, changes and other information
pertinent to the job performance.
- Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they
arise throughout the shift.
- Take physical inventory of specified food items for daily
- Review the market list.
- Requisition the day's supplies and ensure that they are
received and stored correctly. Communicate needs with Purchasing
and Storeroom personnel. Ensure quality of products received.
- Meet with the Executive Steward to review equipment needs,
Banquet plate up assistance, cleaning schedule/project status,
Health/Safety and sanitation follow up.
- Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled; document any
late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for staff.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any
- Check and ensure that all opening duties are completed to
- Ensure that each Kitchen work area is stocked with specified
tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand.
- Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides,
photographs are current and posted.
- Check P.O.S. printers on the line; ensure they are in working
order and there is enough paper available for the shift.
- Ensure that all staff prepare menu items following recipes and
yield guides, according to department standards.
- Monitor performance of staff and ensure all procedures are
completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with
- Work on line during service and assist wherever needed.
- Be aware of any shortages and make arrangements before the item
- Ensure that F&B Service Staff are informed of 86'd items
and amount of available menu specials throughout the meal
- Observe guest reactions and confer with service staff to ensure
- Conduct a frequent walk- through of each Kitchen area and
direct respective personnel to correct any deficiencies. Ensure
that quality and details are being maintained.
- Inspect the cleanliness of the line, floor, all Kitchen
stations. Direct staff to rectify any deficiencies.
- Ensure that staff maintain and strictly abide by State
sanitation/Health regulations and Hotel requirements.
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health
Department and Hotel requirements.
- Instruct staff in the correct usage and care of all machinery
in the Kitchen operation, stressing safety.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to
Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Develop new menu items, test and write recipes.
- Assist Catering Department with developing special menus for
functions; meet with clients as requested.
- Supervise and direct the organization and preparation of food
for the Employee Cafeteria.
- Review sales and food cost daily; resolve any discrepancies
with the Controller.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food
and labor costs.
- Ensure that excess items are utilized efficiently.
- Monitor and ensure that all closing duties are completed to
standard before staff sign out.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing
productivity and employee morale.
- Provide feedback to staff on their performance; handle
disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to Hotel
- Conduct scheduled performance appraisals.
- Interview and hire new personnel according to Hotel policies
- Prepare weekly work schedules for all Kitchen personnel in
accordance with staffing guidelines and forecasted labor costs.
Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet business demands.
- Prepare daily/weekly payroll reports.
- Document pertinent information in the log book and follow up on
items notated during other shifts.
- Plan and conduct monthly departmental meetings.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, F&B meetings, pre-convention
meetings, B.E.O. review meetings.
- Return business telephone calls.
- Answer correspondence.
- Research local farm products, new suppliers, special
- Attend gourmet shows, food and wine meetings.
- Perform at special events and off-premise functions.
- Schedule and conduct month-end inventories.
- Prepare menu analysis and recipe costing. Other Duties
- All Associates are required to fully comply with hotel and
departmental rules, regulations and policies for the safe, secure,
effective and environmentally friendly operation of the hotel
facilities. Examples include, but are not limited to lost and found
procedures, emergency procedures, recycling efforts, etc.
- Attend and participate in all hotel and/or departmental
meetings, training sessions and other information meetings.
- Regular attendance in conformance with hotels standards is
essential to the successful performance of this position.
- Comply with hotel grooming standards for both uniformed and
- Comply with hotel service and behavioral standards towards our
guests, vendors and fellow colleagues, including, but not limited
to ensuring proper phone etiquette, courteous and respectful
behavior and maintaining a friendly and positive attitude.
- Perform all other duties as directed by management that are
consistent with the policies and procedures of the hotel. Working
Conditions & Physical RequirementsPhysical Effort:Significant
portions of day require prolonged standing, moving and lifting
items weighing 25lbs. Ability to visually review documents and
computer screen throughout day.Physical Environment:Ability to walk
or stand for extended periods of time during course of shift.
Manual SkillsSignificant portions of daily assignments involve
application of manual skills requiring motor coordination in
combination with finger dexterity, e.g., typing, handwriting, or
machine operations.Work Schedule: Due to the cyclical nature of the
hospitality industry, Associates may be required to work varying
schedules to reflect the business needs of the
hotel.Safety:Responsible for operating within hotel safety
guidelines, including the safe and responsible operation of hotel
equipment. Reports and addresses safety concerns as they arise.
Ensures safe handling of chemicals in accordance with hotel and
department standards and utilizes proper personal protective
equipment (PPE) when appropriate.QualificationsEducation:High
school diploma or equivalent vocational training certificate
required, some college. Culinary school preferred.Experience:Three
to five years culinary experience in similar operation. Computer
Skill & Other Technical Skills:Ability to utilize computer software
and hardware as required. Ability to learn, utilize and communicate
effectively via company issued communication devices (e.g. Resort
Radios, etc).Communication:Advanced ability to comprehend and speak
English to understand and respond to information and address
advanced guest requests required both verbally and in writing.
Knowledge of additional language(s) preferred.Licenses or
Certifications:n/aOther:Must be customer-service oriented and have
excellent hospitality skills.
Keywords: Lansdowne Resort, Leesburg , Chef De Cuisine, Hospitality & Tourism , Leesburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!