Satellite Platform Engineer I
Company: Iridium Satellite LLC
Posted on: September 17, 2023
Satellite Platform Engineer I
Iridium is an award-winning and innovative satellite communications
company with bragging rights to the only network that offers voice
and data connectivity anywhere in the world. For over 20 years,
Iridium's unique network and services have supported critical
communications needs for individuals, businesses, and the evolving
Internet of Things. At Iridium, we understand the importance of
staying connected and the limitations of traditional communications
networks. People across the globe, including first responders,
humanitarians, global militaries, scientific researchers, and lone
workers, as well as ships, aircraft and remote operations all rely
on Iridium to stay connected. We take our responsibility for
providing these essential communications very seriously and pride
ourselves on offering a reliable lifeline when needed. Likewise,
Iridium is committed to providing an exciting and innovative
workplace, where employees are challenged to think outside the box
and collaborate on new, bold ideas and solutions. Our talented
teams are passionate about their work and the impact our company
makes around the world. Iridium fosters an empowering and inclusive
culture that allows employees to genuinely be their best selves. We
are looking for others who want to join this truly unique company
that celebrates our employees and provides the opportunity to truly
make a difference in the world.
Position Summary, Job Requirements & Responsibilities
What We're Looking For:If you enjoy technical challenges and are
interested in the space industry, then you will be excited about
Iridium's Satellite Platform Engineer I position! As a Satellite
Platform Engineer I, you will work with cutting edge technology and
an industry-leading engineering staff to support the Iridium
satellite constellation. The Satellite Platform Engineer I is a
member of the Platform team, responsible for satellite core
platform hardware such as Platform Computers, configuration
hardware, Memories, and Data Buses. This role is also responsible
for Platform software, Star Tracker software, and interfaces for
Command and Telemetry. In this role, you'll complete tasks as it
relates to problem solving, investigating technical issues, and
engineering creative solutions. You will thrive in this role if you
can learn quickly across a broad spectrum of satellite platform
subsystems, such as the attitude determination and control
subsystems, propulsion, flight software, and flight computer
components. What You'll Do:
- Assist with analyzing on-orbit
platform hardware and software performance and responding to
problems whether software or hardware related.
- Help maintain the flight computer software configuration for
all satellites in the Iridium constellation.
- Interface with vehicle manufacturer and component vendors to
discuss and resolve on-orbit hardware and software issues.
- Aid in analyzing and mitigating on-orbit hardware or software
faults due to space environment effects.
- Interface with software development team, satellite subsystem
engineers, real-time operations, and Independent Verification and
Validation (IV&V) teams to resolve satellite issues or develop
new capabilities, procedures, tools, or checklists.
- Perform guided satellite simulations under a variety of
conditions to understand satellite behavior to aid anomaly
resolution, prepare for on-orbit activities, or test new platform
software configurations or capabilities.
- Perform detailed analysis of platform software fault and error
- Play a role in supporting various system level activities such
as constellation on-orbit testing.
- Help envision and drive development of software tools to reduce
- Maintain and upgrade current software tools suite as
Experience & Education Requirements / EEO
What You'll Need to Succeed:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering.
- General experience in satellite operations or design.
- Experience in scripting languages, specifically in Python and
Matlab, and a working knowledge of Unix/Linux.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to communicate
key messages and ideas clearly and effectively
- Can cultivate meaningful relationships with your manager and
members of your team, while being open and responsive to
constructive feedback as they guide and mentor you
- The ability to think outside the box to help solve problems,
with the humility to ask for help when needed
- Adaptability to a dynamic environment and the readiness to take
on any new tasks that are handed to you
- A motivation to achieve outcomes and results
- Capable of handling multiple tasks at once and completing them
on time with mostly no errors
- An eagerness to develop professionally, continuously learn, and
share knowledge with others Things That Would be Great if You
Brought to the Table:
- Familiarity with simulations and modelling to test procedures
and satellite responses.
- Experience with ADA, PERL and C programming languages.
- Experience with software development or testing. We'll also
need you to:
- Be on call to resolve spacecraft anomalies
- Be able to travel up to two weeks out of the year
- US Citizenship required Work Environment:This position
primarily works in the company office and in a home office. The
position is largely sedentary with the majority of the position
sitting in a chair and working with a computer. The role uses basic
office equipment including a phone, video, computer, keyboard,
mouse and printer. For meetings in person, this position will need
to be able stand, walk within the office and climb stairs on
occasion. Iridium is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or status
as a protected veteran. EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability
and other protected categories.
Keywords: Iridium Satellite LLC, Leesburg , Satellite Platform Engineer I, Engineering , Leesburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!